Historic photo of entrance to Oak Hill Cemetery in Southington, CT

History of Southington and Oak Hill

Oak Hill Cemetery, Southington, CT
95 Flanders Street
Southington, CT 06489

Copyright © 2016 - 2026 Oak Hill Cemetery

Southington History: An Overview

Although Southington was formally established as a town separate from Farmington in 1779, its roots go back to a much earlier time. Samuel Woodruff moved from Farmington to the area then known as "Panthorne." The settlement grew, prospered, and came to be known as "South Farmington" and then later, the shortened version, "Southington."

A meeting house, independent of the Farmington parish, was first constructed here in 1726 and was used until 1757. Its location on the site of the present Oak Hill Cemetery is commemorated by the First Meeting House stone and plaque.

Southington became a thriving community with the construction of dwellings, taverns, and stores. Industry flourished rapidly. In 1767, Atwater's grist mill was established and by 1790, Southington had a button factory, saw mills, a brass foundry, and potash works. In addition, the first machines to make carriage bolts were developed in Southington.

Southington played a part in this country's military heritage. Important town visitors during the Revolutionary War include Washington, Lafayette, and Count Rochambeau.

Southington today is a growing community, once described as "A Microcosm of America." The town is located in Hartford County, within 20 miles of Hartford and 9 miles of Waterbury, and includes the sections of Plantsville, Milldale, and Marion. The geographic area of the town is 36.8 square miles, ranking it 40th out of 169 Connecticut towns and its population is approximately 42,000. While today it is a modern residential, commercial, and industrial community, Southington is proud of its history.

Early History of Southington

Information coming soon
One of the Well Known People
Interred at Oak Hill Cemetery:
Marcus H. Holcomb
66th Governor of Connecticut
from January 6, 1915 - January 5, 1921
Image of former CT Governor Marcus H. Holcomb
Holcomb's contributions to Southington's business community and government are numerous. He was president of the Southington Savings Ban for 30 years. He was also a director in the Southington Bank and Trust Company, the National Fire Insurance Company, the Peck, Stow & Wilcox Company, the Aetna Nut Company, and the Southington Hardware Company. He served as a probate court judge from 1873 to 1910.

He was elected to many offices by Connecticut residents. He was Hartford's treasurer from 1893 to 1908, a member of the Connecticut State Senate from 1893 to 1894, a 1902 delegate to the Connecticut state constitutional convention, speaker of the Connecticut House of Representatives from 1905 to 1906, Connecticut state attorney general from 1907 to 1910, and superior court judge from 1910 to 1915. He became the Governor of Connecticut in 1915 and was reelected in 1916 and 1918.

Holcomb's former home still stands on the Green in downtown Southington at 76 Main Street. It is presently the site of the Masonic Temple, Friendship Lodge #33, of which Holcomb was a Secretary.
Oak Hill Cemetery, Southington, CT

Welcome to Southington's Scenic, Historical Cemetery

95 Flanders Street
Southington, CT 06489